So you all know that not only do I work in a daycare I have a 7 year old running around... That means I deal with toys all day long. Toys at work, in the car at home... EVERYWHERE!!! This means I have an abundance of knowledge about toys... Here are the things that I as a professional early childhood educator and caregiver of a 7 and a half year old boy know about toys:
1) Unless you have labelled your puzzle pieces so you know which belongs where, puzzles suck. Sure they are educational and entertaining, but lets face it you might as well open every puzzle you own, dump the pieces into a rubber maid container and then put it our for free on the lawn, because we all know unless you put it together and away in the box each and every time your child uses the puzzle YOU WILL NEVER AGAIN FIND ALL THE PIECES...
2) Sand/Water/Rice/Corn etc. tables are so much fun. Kids love to play in them and you love to watch them be all imaginative and thought provoking playing in a medium they don't usually get to play in. But there is a reason that this is a once a month occurrence. EVERYTHING GOES EVERYWHERE... Such as, the other day at work when we got new rive for the table... and then we allowed the children to play in it. I swept 4 times in a 30 min period... and then a co worker said it took her an hour to sweep all the rice up... And that is with constant supervision...
3) If you have a boy in the room, ANYTHING CAN BE TURNED INTO A GUN. I mean anything. From the obvious, blocks to things like a sandwich bit into the shape of a gun... and then pointed and blam blamed across the table and the closest opponent... It becomes a bit much.
4) LEGOS ARE MADE BY THE DEVIL... Who on Earth would make a toy that would hurt adult feet so badly? That is all.
Today at work I stepped on a toy. It is not mention above because I never before thought of it as a toy that should make the list of fun things for kids that were not really fun for adults... The toy I stepped on literally STUCK INTO THE BOTTOM OF MY FOOT... It hurt so bad... I bled... It still hurts so bad... 5 hours later... Can you guess what the toy was?
Leave me a comment... The first person who can guess will get a shout out in my next blog... I look forward to hearing your guesses!!
a jack??
ReplyDeleteNope! It wasn't a jack...
ReplyDeletebristol blocks?
ReplyDelete